Green Car Congress  
Go to GCC Discussions forum About GCC Contact  RSS Subscribe Twitter headlines

« Clean Bus Leaders | Main | Oman Looks to Halliburton for Help »

Print this post

Another Major Iranian Energy Deal: $3B with India

1 November 2004

Southpars

Rediff.com. State-run Indian Oil Corporation has entered into a $3 billion deal with Iran to develop a gas block in the enormous South Pars field, to build an LNG liquefaction plant and to sell the resulting product. This is the IOC’s largest non-Indian investment to date, and one of the largest single investments in South Pars. (Map to right, Click to enlarge.)

Iran’s deal with IOC follows closely on the agreemenet with China for the development of the Yadevaran oilfield. (Earlier post.)

IOC will work with Iran’s Petropars in bringing to production one of the 30 phases planned to develop the 500-square mile South Pars field. Estimates peg the gas reserves at 436 trillion cubic feet. The LNG liquefaction plant will have a capacity of 9 million metric tons per year.

IOC will have a 40% stake in the upstream development with the remaining being Petropars’. IOC will have a 60% stake in the liquefaction plant, and the marketing rights to sell the entire 9 million metric tons of LNG.

Iran holds the world’s second largest reserves of natural gas—an estimated 940 trillion cubic feet—surpassed only by those in Russia. According to the US Energy Information Administration, around 62% of Iranian natural gas reserves are located in non-associated fields (i.e., not in conjunction with oilfields and oil production), and have not been developed, meaning that Iran has huge potential for gas development. South Pars is the largest non-associated field, and represents around 45% of Iran’s total gas reserves.

Development of South Pars is Iran’s largest energy project, having attracted around $15 billion in investment prior to this agreement with IOC. Some of the other energy companies involved include Total (France), Eni (Italy) and Statoil (Norway).

November 1, 2004 in LNG, Natural Gas | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (1)

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d8341c4fbe53ef00d83456925e69e2

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Another Major Iranian Energy Deal: $3B with India:

» Si si, fate la guerra all'Iran...e poi vi troverete contro.... from Network Games
China Forges Major Energy Ties with Iran . [Read More]

Comments

Verify your Comment

Previewing your Comment

This is only a preview. Your comment has not yet been posted.

Working...
Your comment could not be posted. Error type:
Your comment has been posted. Post another comment

The letters and numbers you entered did not match the image. Please try again.

As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below. This prevents automated programs from posting comments.

Having trouble reading this image? View an alternate.

Working...

Post a comment

Green Car Congress © 2014 BioAge Group, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Home | BioAge Group