Green Car Congress  
Go to GCC Discussions forum About GCC Contact  RSS Subscribe Twitter headlines

« Australia Planning to Adapt to Climate Change Impacts | Main | GM’s Matiz/Spark Mini-Car Racking Up Market Share in Europe and China »

Print this post

Cyprus to Establish Biofuels Requirement

26 July 2005

Cypruseurope

Simerini. Cyprus’s Commerce Ministry is poised to announce a pilot project to introduce biofuels in an attempt to cut down on the cost of petroleum imports and the emissions from fossil-fuel use.

Georgios Roditis, from the Applied Energy Centre of the Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Tourism, said that island will set an initial biofuels target of one percent (6,000 metric tons, or approximately 2.16 million gallons US) of annual transport fuel consumption.

There will be an initial focus on ethanol derived from grapes and grape residues from the Cypriot wineries, as well as from grain, potatoes and other fruits. Cyprus will also investigate cultivating oil-seed crops for biodiesel production.

With a population of 780,000 and an area about 0.6 times the size of the state of Connecticut, Cyprus consumes the least energy of any of the EU countries. Fully 98.7% of Cyprus’s energy came from oil in 2003, according to the EIA, with the remaining 1.3% from coal.

July 26, 2005 in Biodiesel, Ethanol, Europe, Policy | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack (0)

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d8341c4fbe53ef00d83459188353ef

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Cyprus to Establish Biofuels Requirement:

Comments

I wonder what kind of wind opportunities Cyprus has. After all, they are a pretty small island -- that usually means good wind, no?

... not to mention wave energy!

i need some information about biodiesel application to northen cyprus. i want to produce biodesel in northencyprus. if you send me application step of biodiesel to cyprus i will be glad...

Verify your Comment

Previewing your Comment

This is only a preview. Your comment has not yet been posted.

Working...
Your comment could not be posted. Error type:
Your comment has been posted. Post another comment

The letters and numbers you entered did not match the image. Please try again.

As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below. This prevents automated programs from posting comments.

Having trouble reading this image? View an alternate.

Working...

Post a comment

Green Car Congress © 2014 BioAge Group, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Home | BioAge Group