Green Car Congress  
Go to GCC Discussions forum About GCC Contact  RSS Subscribe Twitter headlines

« Ottawa Delays C$536-Million Hybrid Bus Purchase to Study Natural Gas Option | Main | EU Launches Biomass Action Plan for Transport, Electricity and Heating/Cooling Sectors »

Print this post

Mercedes-Benz Offers PM Retrofits for Diesel C- and E-Class Cars

7 December 2005

As promised earlier this year (earlier post), Mercedes-Benz is offering a retrofit system for C-Class and E-Class diesel models which significantly reduces particulate emissions for these older vehicles to better than Euro-4 standards.

The system is maintenance-free and is suitable for installation in vehicles with four-cylinder diesel engines produced since June 2003. The price including installation is €799 (US$936).

Since the summer of 2005 all new CDI passenger cars produced by Mercedes-Benz have been equipped with a particulate filter as standard.

The retrofit system for the four-cylinder models in the C-Class and E-Class combines two catalytic converters in a single housing: an oxidizing unit which converts gaseous pollutants and a particulate reduction unit in which soot particles are trapped and burned off at an exhaust temperature of more than 250º Celsius.

As a result, particulate emissions are reduced by up to 40% and fall below the limits prescribed by the Euro 4 standard.

The maintenance-free Mercedes retrofit system requires no fuel additives and can be installed with no modifications to the electronic engine management system. In the process the standard oxidizing catalytic converters of the CDI models are replaced and fed into the Mercedes Recycling Management system (MeRSy) for reuse.

This retrofit system by Mercedes-Benz meets the current requirements of the German federal government’s tax incentive scheme for low-emission diesel passenger cars. The system is available from Mercedes-Benz sales and service outlets and dealerships throughout Europe.

December 7, 2005 in Diesel, Emissions, Europe, Vehicle Systems | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack (0)

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d8341c4fbe53ef00d8346c4c5253ef

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Mercedes-Benz Offers PM Retrofits for Diesel C- and E-Class Cars:

Comments

how come no other manufacturers offer this? this is amazing. this should be available for every car. that way, you wouldn't have to rely on regulations to deal with only new cars. you could require old cars to be retrofitted.

Probably does not work on older, even more polluting cars.
And upto 40% reduction is very nice, but still leaves more than 60% in the city air, to be filtered by our lungs.

Verify your Comment

Previewing your Comment

This is only a preview. Your comment has not yet been posted.

Working...
Your comment could not be posted. Error type:
Your comment has been posted. Post another comment

The letters and numbers you entered did not match the image. Please try again.

As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below. This prevents automated programs from posting comments.

Having trouble reading this image? View an alternate.

Working...

Post a comment

Green Car Congress © 2014 BioAge Group, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Home | BioAge Group