Azure Dynamics Corporation and its shuttle bus partner StarTrans have signed nine bus distributors across North America for the marketing and sales of the CitiBus Hybrid Senator HD hybrid-electric shuttle buses.
Azure estimates that approximately 70% of the targeted shuttle bus market in the US and Canada is covered by this distributor network. The distributors—and their regions—are:
- Arcola Bus Sales: New York City Region, New Jersey, Eastern Pennsylvania
- Colonial Equipment Co.: Maryland, Delaware, Washington DC
- EK Coaches: Washington, Oregon, Idaho
- First Bus Centre: British Columbia, Alberta, Yukon, Saskatchewan, Manitoba
- Florida Bus Unlimited: Florida
- Matthews Buses: Upstate New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont
- Mid South Bus Center, Inc.: Tennessee
- Sonny Merryman, Inc.:Virginia
- Transportation South, Inc.: Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi
Azure’s CitiBus cab-chassis utilizes the same G1 series hybrid chassis currently in production and operation with delivery van fleets such as Purolator Courier Ltd. The CitiBus cab-chassis integrates an International 3200 cab with Azure’s newly developed front nose and a Workhorse chassis.
The current series-hybrid chassis uses a 4.8-liter gasoline-fueled GM Vortec engine as the genset combined with a 110 kW induction motor and a NiMH battery pack. The shuttle has a top speed of 65 mph, and an all-electric range of 1.5 miles. (Earlier post.)
In testing, Azure’s hybrid delivery vans have demonstrated nearly a 50% reduction in fuel consumption on a mile per gallon basis in city driving compared to conventionally powered delivery vans.
Azure is strategically targeting the commercial delivery vehicle and shuttle bus and is currently working internationally with various partners and customers including: Purolator Courier Ltd., United States Postal Service, Canada Post, Ford Motor Company, Smith Electric Vehicles, Workhorse Custom Chassis, Productive Concepts Inc., StarTrans and AM General LLC. (Earlier post.)