Toyota has notified their dealer network that some 2012 RAV4 EV customers may complain of a “Check EV System” warning message after they try to charge their vehicle at a public Level 2 electric vehicle charging station. “Level 2” refers to a 240V AC electric vehicle charging station, or EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment).
Toyota uses Leviton Manufacturing as its Level 2 EVSE supplier. Leviton offers 16A, 30A, and 40A charging stations, approved for use with the 2012 RAV4 EV. Toyota has also confirmed basic compatibility between the RAV4 EV and the following Level 2 charging stations:
- Aerovironment: Level 2 EVSE-RS
- Blink/Ecotality: Level 2 Charge Station
- ChargePoint/Coulomb Technologies: CT2000 Series
- Clipper Creek: CS Series
- Eaton: EV Charging Station (residential)
- Eaton: Pow-R-Station (commercial)
- Schneider Electric: EVLink Indoor Charging Station (EV2430WS)
Toyota plans to continue basic testing on additional Level 2 charging stations, to identify other EVSE than are compatible with the RAV4 EV.