Green Car Congress  
Go to GCC Discussions forum About GCC Contact  RSS Subscribe Twitter headlines

« MIT study finds fuel economy standards are 6-14 times less cost effective than fuel tax for reducing gasoline use | Main | API: January petroleum demand in US lowest in 18 years »

Print this post

Kinder Morgan invests in new “crude-by-rail” project; 210,000 barrels per day

21 February 2013

KW Express LLC, a partnership between Kinder Morgan Energy Partners, L.P. (KMP) and Watco Companies L.L.C., has entered into a long-term agreement with Mercuria Energy Trading Company Inc., to construct a 210,000 barrel per day (bpd) crude-by-rail project at the Greens Port Industrial Park on the Houston Ship Channel. The project will allow Mercuria Energy Trading, Inc. to source crude from various origination locations including Cushing, Okla., West Texas, the Bakken shale area and western Canada for delivery by rail into the Houston Ship Channel for distribution to various refiners via pipeline and barges.

The facility will have the capability to unload and load up to three unit trains per day of crude oil and condensate as well as provide for up to 100,000 bpd of barge loading capacity.

KW Express will own 85% of the project and, together with Watco, construct and operate the project once completed. Mercuria will own the remaining 15% interest of the project.

This will be the first major crude by rail destination facility in the Houston area with the ability to deliver into the largest refining complex in the world. It will provide U.S. and Canadian producers much needed market access and optionality to deliver their crude oil production.

— John Schlosser, Kinder Morgan Terminals president.

Kinder Morgan Energy Partners, L.P. is a leading pipeline transportation and energy storage company and one of the largest publicly traded pipeline limited partnerships in America. It owns an interest in or operates approximately 46,000 miles of pipelines and 180 terminals.

February 21, 2013 in Brief | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d8341c4fbe53ef017d41337b45970c

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Kinder Morgan invests in new “crude-by-rail” project; 210,000 barrels per day:

Comments

Verify your Comment

Previewing your Comment

This is only a preview. Your comment has not yet been posted.

Working...
Your comment could not be posted. Error type:
Your comment has been posted. Post another comment

The letters and numbers you entered did not match the image. Please try again.

As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below. This prevents automated programs from posting comments.

Having trouble reading this image? View an alternate.

Working...

Post a comment

Green Car Congress © 2013 BioAge Group, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Home | BioAge Group