Nissan wins top award at CEATEC Japan 2013 for autonomous driving technology
7 October 2013
Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.’s Autonomous Drive technology (earlier post) won the Grand Prix in the CEATEC Innovation Awards, the top prize. It was awarded by a panel of independent US journalists working in the fields of IT and consumer electronics.
The award honors the best among the technologies, products and services exhibited at CEATEC JAPAN 2013. The jury of journalists assesses the exhibits at CEATEC in a number of categories to determine the best by focusing on their potential impact on the US market, meeting new consumer needs, functionality, innovation and if the technology, product or service exhibited offers a unique solution to new needs. It is the first time for Nissan to have won the award and the first time for an automaker.
|Demo of Nissan’s AD technology at CEATEC. Click to enlarge.|
Nissan’s Autonomous Drive technology also won the Smart Mobility, Special Award category.
Nissan revealed the advanced development of its technology in August when the company committed to being ready with multiple, commercially-viable Autonomous Drive cars by 2020. The system will be deployed across the model range within two vehicle generations.
Nissan’s Autonomous Drive technology is an extension of its Safety Shield, which monitors a 360-degree view around a vehicle for risks, offers warnings to the driver and takes action if necessary. It is based on the philosophy that everything required should be on board the vehicle, rather than relying on detailed external data.
Other CEATEC Innovation Award winners this year were:
- Home Entertainment. Toshiba Corporation: REGZA TimeOn service
- Electronic Components. Sharp Corporation: MEMS-IGZO Display
- Software. SONY Corporation / SONY Marketing Corporation: Info-Eye
- Computing and Networking. Murata Manufacturing Co., Ltd.(with Ellipticlabs): SMD Ultrasonic Sensor
- Mobile Technology. Kyocera Corporation: Rugged LTE Smartphone
- Digital Imaging. Mastor Technology Limited: Steadicam
- Smart Community. Fujitsu Limited: Akisai
- Health & Household. NEC Corporation: Portable DNA Analyzer
- Industrial Design. Sharp Corporation: Frameless Television
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Nissan wins top award at CEATEC Japan 2013 for autonomous driving technology: