A Swedish industry-first electric automobile coalition has been established to fuel the advancement of zero-emission, high performance vehicles.
|The ZE Saab 9-3. Click to enlarge.|
Funded by SEK 86 million (approximately US$12 million) from a Swedish Energy Agency grant announced on 10 December, the coalition includes companies from the automotive manufacturing, battery and electric power train sectors. Participating organizations are:
- Saab Automobile AB (automotive engineering and manufacturing)
- Boston-Power, Inc. (lithium-ion batteries)
- Electroengine in Sweden AB (electric power trains)
- Innovatum (project management)
- Power Circle (Sweden’s electric power industry trade organization)
The Saab and Electroengine have already built initial demonstration models of the vehicle—named the ZE Saab 9-3 (ZE for zero emissions). The group plans to build more than 100 additional cars in 2010.