Ford unveiled a new MyFord Mobile app being introduced exclusively with the all-new Ford Focus Electric. The MyFord Mobile technology allows Focus Electric owners in North America to stay connected, monitor and control their vehicle.
Via a smartphone or a secure website, MyFord Mobile allows Focus Electric owners to plan trips, monitor the vehicle’s state of charge, receive various alerts for vehicle charging, as well as provides several other features designed to simplify the electric vehicle ownership experience.
MyFord Mobile uses an on-board wireless module integrated into Focus Electric that allows the car to communicate off-board via standard cellular technology. Owners can use any connected mobile phone with a data plan or computer with Internet access when not operating a vehicle to:
- Find current and projected state of charge information including estimated range and the amount of charge time necessary for additional distances;
- Program vehicle charging with utility input, allowing the car to start charging immediately or when electricity prices are lowest with the value charging feature;
- Locate charging stations and get the destination sent to the vehicle;
- Know if the vehicle can reach a specific charge station from its current location with the current charge level;
- Create a journey with multiple stops, and determine the likelihood that the car has adequate charge for the full journey;
- Find the car by creating a route from a mobile phone to the vehicle;
- Receive alerts if the vehicle isn’t charging when it’s scheduled to, or if charging stops unexpectedly due to a power outage, plug removal or other event;
- Receive alerts during recharge when the vehicle has reached a particular preset charge level or has the ability to reach a particular destination;
- Engage remote vehicle preconditioning, using grid power to heat or cool the battery and vehicle interior;
- Remotely lock/unlock doors;
- Use the built-in GPS system to locate the car;
- Download performance and system data;
- Receive various achievements for driving and ownership milestones that can then be posted to a Facebook or Twitter account; and
- Receive information personalized to the driver, depending on which key the driver used.
At launch, the MyFord Mobile app will be available for most major smartphones, including BlackBerry, Android and iPhone, along with a mobile web application for compatibility with any phone supporting HTML-5 browser-based access, or features phones with WAP 2.0-supported browsers. The feature also is accessible via a secure Ford website.
Owners will use the smartphone to communicate with a cloud-based secure server, which stores information provided by an embedded wireless module in Focus Electric.