Ioxus, Inc., a manufacturer of ultracapacitor technology for transportation, alternative energy, medical, industrial and consumer product markets (earlier post), unveiled its first 16V/58F iMOD series of ultracapacitor modules. The 16V/58F iMOD series cuts development time by delivering a ready-to-use package at what Ioxus says is the lowest cost in the industry.
With the increase in adaptation of hybrid drives and clean technologies, there is a high demand for more rugged, compact and lower-price ultracapacitor modules with improved cell balancing. Ioxus is targeting its 16V/58F iMOD modules initially for wind turbine pitch control, said Chad Hall, VP of Sales, with starting systems for large vehicles and off-road equipment next, automotive subsystems, backup power/UPS/ride through and power conditioning for renewable energy systems.
Hall also said the micro-hybrid applications could become a solid market for the ultracapacitor modules, as “ultracapacitors are the only technology that can handle the rigorous cycle demands.”
Key features and benefits of the 16V/58 iMOD modules—which, Hall noted, are sized to match the footprints of common 12V lead-acid batteries—include:
- A 16V working voltage sized to parallel with or replace common battery sizes.
- Individually balanced cells that eliminate the need to custom design management and packaging strategies for the largest markets.
- Threaded, protected terminals that are easy to install, monitor and maintain.
- Strong environmental protection for commercial and industrial applications.
- Short module walls with short screws required for mounting, easy installation and removal of screws, and improved thermal performance.
- Low ESR with better constant current, higher power density and higher efficiency then market competition.
- Rugged design for six solder points near cell circumference for stability and an extra thick circuit board for rigidity.
- Molded-in part number that is not easily removed.
- Standard architecture that fits within the footprint of other modules on the market.
This is a complete, ready to install package. You can go up to 750V without any external management, you can run it in parallel to a 12V battery or replace a 12V battery. It’s ruggedized to handle industrial environments.—Chad Hall
Ioxus has performed the necessary compliance standards required with all UL94-V0 materials used for the 16V/58F iMOD modules to be used in stationary and mobile applications. These tests include RoHS, UL810a pending, Vibration IEC60068-2-6, Shock IEC60068-2-27, -29 and Random Drop MIL-STD-202G METHOD 203C.
Ioxus offers the highest power and energy density ultracapacitors and hybrid capacitors ranging in size from 100 Farads to 5,000 Farads. Ioxus ultracapacitors have two to three times higher power compared to other ultracapacitors, with smaller, lighter weight modules and systems. Its family of ultracapacitors is uniquely optimized for high performance with low resistance, ideal for delivering high power bursts for acceleration, energy recapture, peak load shaving and high power applications. Ioxus is headquartered in Oneonta, NY.