Volkswagen of America, Inc. has priced the 2015 e-Golf battery-electric vehicle for the US market. (Earlier post.) The e-Golf starts at $35,445 (plus $820 destination and delivery) for the SEL Premium model.
As a comparison, the three trim levels of the 2015 Nissan LEAF are priced at $29,010 for the S; $32,100 for the SV; and $35,120 for the top-end SL. The Focus Electric starts at $35,170.
Built on the Golf’s sporty Modular Transverse Matrix (MQB) platform, and powered by a compact electric motor and lithium-ion battery (built in-house at Volkswagen’s Braunschweig facility), the e-Golf follows the Golf’s “fun-to-drive, yet practical” formula, with the benefits of an electric vehicle.
Volkswagen has also announced a collaboration with 3Degrees, a renewable energy services provider, to invest in carbon reduction projects to help offset the emissions created from production, distribution and charging of the e-Golf for up to approximately 36,000 miles of driving. Charging solutions from Bosch and Chargepoint, along with a new Roadside Assistance program and the VW Car-Net e-Golf app are designed to make owning the e-Golf a thoroughly reassuring, rewarding and enjoyable experience. (Earlier post.)
The key features, benefits and standard equipment of the e-Golf are:
- Combined Charging System (CCS) that allows % battery charge within 30 minutes
- Standard 7.2kW onboard charger
- Average range between 70 and 90 miles, depending on driving style and charging behavior
- Class-leading 199 lb-ft of torque, with 115 horsepower
- Largest interior space in a compact EV—93.5 cubic feet, same volume as Golf
- Versatile cargo area, with 22.8 cubic feet of space behind the rear seats; 52.7 cubic feet with seats folded
- Three driving profiles designed to preserve energy (“Normal”, “Eco”, and “Eco+”)
- Three driver-selectable regenerative braking levels
- 5.8-inch touchscreen navigation system and infotainment center
- Sirius XM
- Automatic Post-Collision Braking system
- Leather-wrapped multifunction steering wheel
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
- LED headlights
- Bespoke 16-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
- Rearview camera; and front and rear Park Distance Control
- Keyless access
- Heatable front seats
The e-Golf will go on sale in participating dealerships in select states in November 2014.