car2go North America LLC launched Mobile Access, an upgraded app feature that allows members not only to search for and to reserve a car2go vehicle, but to begin their car2go trip via their smartphones. Beginning today, Mobile Access will serve as an alternative to the company’s member card, which was, until now, the only way to access a car2go vehicle and end a ride.
Mobile Access works similarly to the member card, allowing members to unlock a car2go and start their trip. Members can also continue to use their member card if they prefer. To use Mobile Access, members must first update their iOS or Android car2go app to version 2.0.
Beginning a car2go trip entails:
- Arriving at the vehicle;
- Selecting the vehicle on the app;
- Clicking the vehicle detail box at the bottom of the screen;
- Hitting “Start Rental to begin.”
Ending the trip:
- Click “End Trip” on the navigational screen in the car2go vehicle;
- Return the car2go key in its holder;
- Close all doors—after 15 seconds the vehicle will lock.
Available to car2go’s more than 900,000 registered members, the new feature works on car2go’s entire fleet of more than 12,500 car2go vehicles. With Regional Access, members are able to use the service seamlessly in each of car2go’s 15 locations across North America.
Effective until 21 December, car2go will offer free car2go membership, along with 30 minutes of free drive time at car2gotime.com using promotional code CAR2GOTIME.