Adamas: passenger EV battery capacity deployed up 94% Y-o-Y in March 2019; EV sales up only 25% over same period; CATL surges
San José International deploys 10 Proterra electric buses in airport fleet

DOE: US plug-in vehicles consumed nearly 3 TWh of electricity in 2018

The amount of electricity consumed by plug-in electric vehicles (PEV) in the United States has nearly doubled in the last two years—from 1.44 terawatt-hours in 2016 to 2.85 terawatt-hours in 2018, according to the US Department of Energy (DOE).

The share of electricity consumption from all-electric vehicles (EV) increased compared to the electricity consumption from plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEV). In 2018, EV accounted for 61% of all PEV electricity consumption while PHEV accounted for the remaining 39%.

Fotw1080

Electricity consumption of US plug-in EVs, 2010-2018. Includes only light-duty vehicles. Source: Argonne National Laboratory, Assessment of Light-Duty Plug-In Electric Vehicles in the United States, 2010–2018, ANL/ESD-19/2, March 2019.

Comments

Engineer-Poet

By way of comparison, the US consumes about 4200 TW-hr/yr.  We have a long way to go before our ground transport is electrified.

Bernard

To put it an other way, a handy (unverified) online converter tells me this is the equivalent of 0.84 million barrels of oil. It's not nothing, but it's also not a lot. Yet.

Lad

If you convert all that 4200 TWhs/yrs to Barrels of Oil and then figure about 80% is lost in the atmosphere as heat and exhaust gas, you can see why we are changing the Earth for the worse and need to change.

Engineer-Poet

Actually, the 4200 TWh/yr is what's LEFT after converting most of it from natural gas, coal and (yes) a bit of oil.

I'm working on a sketch of a scheme to put a lot of that to work.  Trying to figure out the messy details of the thermo for an example system.  To say it won't be optimised is an understatement, but I hope to get something close enough to be in the ballpark.

HarveyD

By the end of 2018, USA had between 900,000 and 1,100,000 BEVs + PHEVs in operation, using close to 3 TWh/year.

With a fully electrified fleet, USA's ground vehicles would consume about 240X more or about 720 TWh/year for a total of 4920 KWh/year.

Since the turn over from ICEVs to electrified vehicles (PHEVs-BEVs-FCEVs) will take another 30 to 40+ years, USA could easily install enough REs to produce an extra 720 TWh/year by 2045/2055 or so.

Of course, a few dozen new NPPs could help, if the initial and on going cost can be reduced by 50% to 66%.

HarveyD

CORRECTION:

a total of 4920 KWh should read 4920 TWh.

Verify your Comment

Previewing your Comment

This is only a preview. Your comment has not yet been posted.

Working...
Your comment could not be posted. Error type:
Your comment has been posted. Post another comment

The letters and numbers you entered did not match the image. Please try again.

As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below. This prevents automated programs from posting comments.

Having trouble reading this image? View an alternate.

Working...

Post a comment

Your Information

(Name is required. Email address will not be displayed with the comment.)