Study finds demand for critical minerals putting African great apes at risk; 1/3 of Africa’s great ape population faces risks related to mining
DOE finalizes energy efficiency standards for distribution transformers

Study finds that up to 11M tonnes of waste plastic is on the ocean floor

New research from CSIRO, Australia’s national science agency, and the University of Toronto in Canada, estimates up to 11 million tonnes of plastic pollution is sitting on the ocean floor.

Every minute, a garbage truck’s worth of plastic enters the ocean. With plastic use expected to double by 2040, understanding how and where it travels is key to protecting marine ecosystems and wildlife.

Dr Denise Hardesty, Senior Research Scientist with CSIRO, said this is the first estimate of how much plastic waste ends up on the ocean floor, where it accumulates before being broken down into smaller pieces and mixed into ocean sediment.

We know that millions of tonnes of plastic waste enter our oceans every year but what we didn’t know is how much of this pollution ends up on our ocean floor. We discovered that the ocean floor has become a resting place, or reservoir, for most plastic pollution, with between 3 to 11 million tonnes of plastic estimated to be sinking to the ocean floor.

While there has been a previous estimate of microplastics on the seafloor, this research looks at larger items, from nets and cups to plastic bags and everything in between.

—Dr Hardesty

Alice Zhu, a PhD Candidate from the University of Toronto who led the study, said the estimate of plastic pollution on the ocean floor could be up to 100 times more than the amount of plastic floating on the ocean’s surface.

The ocean surface is a temporary resting place of plastic so it is expected that if we can stop plastic entering our oceans, the amount would be reduced. However, our research found that plastic will continue to end up in the deep ocean, which becomes a permanent resting place or sink for marine plastic pollution.

—Alice Zhu

The researchers built two data~based predictive models to estimate the amount and distribution of plastic on the ocean floor: one based on data from remote operated vehicles (ROVs) and the other from bottom trawls.

Using ROV data, 3 to 11 million metric tonnes of plastic pollution is estimated to reside on the ocean floor. The ROV results also reveal that plastic mass clusters around continents—approximately half (46%) of the predicted plastic mass on the global ocean floor resides above 200 m depth. The ocean depths, from 200 m to as deep as 11,000 m contains the remainder of predicted plastic mass (54%).

Although inland and coastal seas cover much less surface area than oceans (11% vs 56% out of the entire Earth’s area), these areas are predicted to hold as much plastic mass as does the rest of the ocean floor.

The paper was published in Deep Sea Research Part I: Oceanographic Research Papers.


  • Xia Zhu, Chelsea M. Rochman, Britta Denise Hardesty, Chris Wilcox (2024) “Plastics in the deep sea – A global estimate of the ocean floor reservoir,” Deep Sea Research Part I: Oceanographic Research Papers, Volume 206, doi: 10.1016/j.dsr.2024.104266



Rather depressing to contemplate this level of globe-encompassing pollution. The nicest thing about travelling back in time 500 years or more would be experiencing a world without industrial pollution and full biodiversity.

The comments to this entry are closed.