Gyeonggi Green Energy to purchase 42 1.4MW fuel cell modules from FuelCell Energy
The Porsche 911 T-Hybrid offers significantly enhanced performance

PowerCell to supply fuel cell systems to O.S. Energy for research vessel

PowerCell has signed an order for two 100 kW marine fuel cell systems from O.S. Energy for the Transship II sustainable vessel project. This order represents a significant expansion of PowerCell’s offerings into the segment of smaller commercial and leisure vessels, including both retrofits and new builds and shows that the technology is ready for wider uptake.

The £5.5-million initiative focuses on retrofitting the research vessel Prince Madog, co-owned by Bangor University, with a hydrogen-electric hybrid propulsion system, showcasing the potential for sustainable propulsion solutions in the maritime industry.

The new hydrogen propulsion system, which will work in conjunction with a diesel-fueled main engine, will enable zero emission operation at slow speeds or over short distances—such as daily teaching trips with the students from the School of Ocean Sciences at Bangor University. In normal operation, the hybrid system and new novel propulsion design will reduce emissions by up to 60%.


RV Prince Madog

The retrofit work is to be completed in early 2025 with a demonstration planned for March 2025. The Transship II project is supported by the UK Department for Transport as part of the Clean Maritime Demonstration Competition Round 3 (CMDC3)—delivered in partnership with Innovate UK.

Our marine fuel cell systems offer several benefits over traditional diesel gensets, including zero emissions, silent operation and exceptional reliability. Additionally, our 100kW marine fuel cell system has the same footprint as conventional solutions, ensuring seamless integration into existing vessel designs. These advantages are critical as the industry moves towards greener and more efficient solutions.

—Richard Berkling, CEO of PowerCell

While the large ocean-going ships that will require new fuels make up approximately 85% of the maritime industry’s carbon footprint, the other 15% are ready for decarbonization now. According to the International Maritime Organization, 15% of smaller shortsea vessels still represent approximately 150 million tonnes of carbon emissions emitted each year.

The Transship II project is the largest retrofit of its kind, involving a consortium of major UK innovators in green maritime technology and hydrogen systems. The project aims to enable zero to low emission operation of the Prince Madog in 2025, making it a model for sustainable marine research and operations.

The Prince Madog is a multi-purpose research vessel used to conduct marine research along the British coastline and in the Irish and Celtic Seas. As the only fully seagoing research ship in a UK university, it’s commonly used to train future marine scientists at Bangor University and further afield.

Once complete, the Prince Madog will receive hydrogen from the Holyhead Hydrogen Hub on Anglesey, North Wales.

PowerCell Sweden AB was founded in 2008 as an industrial spin-out from the Volvo Group.



'While the large ocean-going ships that will require new fuels make up approximately 85% of the maritime industry’s carbon footprint, the other 15% are ready for decarbonization now. '

Very cool. Great to get rid of diesel for light and recreational boating, although apparently this iteration from Plug Power can only manage half the job.


Solid oxide fuel cells running LNG would be great for ocean going ships and railroad locomotives just a matter of time

The comments to this entry are closed.